Monday, July 09, 2007

Serunding (Meat Floss)


Serunding is a ready to eat side dishes. It can be served with bread, rice, ketupat, lontong or lemang. The first time I tasted serunding was in 1985 when I visited my friend Kak Zuliah Hari Raya open house. Since then I will look for it during the Ramadan season berbuka puasa market. When I went home last year I bought a packet of Ayam Mas brand but it just doesn't taste good at all. Since I have a lot of beef in the freezer I decided to cook some myself. Is not bad for my first try.

Ingredients :

1 Kg of beef (clean and cut into small pieces)
500 ml of thick coconut milk
Sugar and salt to taste

To be blended into paste with some of the stock

15 dried chilies (soak in hot water)
8 shallots
2" of ginger
4 cloves of garlic
1 " of galangal (lengkuas)
2 lemon grass
1 tsp of tumeric powder



1) Boil the meat with some water until is tender. Save the stock
2) Shred the meat into small pieces with your fingers and set aside
3) Heat up the wok, combined the coconut milk and the blended ingredients
4) Bring it up to a boil and put in the meat.
5) Add in salt and sugar to taste
6) Stir and cook until dish is really dry
7) Serve

10 comments:

Salt N Turmeric said...

sounds easy. i sure hope making it is also as easy as it sounds. maklumlah this raya, stil kat sini so maybe i can make some. ;)

Cat Cat said...

Hmmm, I never had serunding before although masakan melayu is one of my favourite. I probably ate more malay cookings than chinese when I was in Malaysia.

Does it taste like the chinese meat floss?

ICook4Fun said...

Pj, is really easy to make except it need sometime to cook it really dry.

Cat, you tak pernah eat serunding. In Malaysia they mostly serve it during Hari Raya. It taste a bit like Chinese meat floss but this one is pedas very wangi of coconut

Cat Cat said...

Gert,
Pedas ya... Sounds like sedap di-makan with nasi panas. I heard of serunding but never had it before. It looks yummy.
I usually favor meat with sauce like rendang, masak merah, masak cili padi, masak lemak - saucy type of cookings. Best eaten over a plate of hot steaming rice.

aiyah nonya said...

Hi !

I have visited your blog many times. Mostly a phamtom reader. :) This is the first time I left my mark.

Your serunding looks yummy. I love serunding with lemang or with bread.
Too bad H do not like beef. I tried it with chicken before. But I think beef is still the best.

Cheers

ICook4Fun said...

Cat, I memang suka serunding with nasi lemak panas ;)

Nonya, thanks for dropping by. I too like my serunding with bread. You are right. I think beef taste better than chicken especially when comes to rendang and serunding.

Zue Murphy said...

Bravo!Not bad for your first try. Bulan puasa nanti you boleh buat bisness. I'll be your first customer ya. I chop dulu!
~Zue

ICook4Fun said...

Zue, berapa kilo you nak order? tapi you kena try dulu lah. Nanti tak sedap macam mana.

ANa said...

Hi, thanks for the recipe. I cooked Serunding for the first time today and everyone at home loved it. Although I didn't have any dried chilli, sambal oelek was a good substitute. I'll definitely cook this again!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I had a first attempt to make Serunding(meat floss) last night.
I printed out the recipe and started to cook. unfortunately, I missed out the two lines step one and two, so didnt boil the meat first. I did everything else as written on the recipe and the flavour was abselutely beautiful.(only chunky) I seved it with my own Acar campur (pickled vegetables) and rice.
But today i will make it again. I have had my meat simmering in the crock pot all day and am about to shred it. I will let you know how it turns out. Thankyou! Cobie