Sunday, July 22, 2007

Banana Walnut Cake

My neighbor Nancy gave me a 'Food Network' cook book and one of the cake recipe by Paula Dean caught my eyes. Since I have bananas and walnuts in hand so I gave this recipe a try . The cake is really moist and nice.

Ingredients :
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas - mashed
1/4 cup of buttermilk
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts.

1) Pre-heat over to 350 degree F and line a baking pan.
2) In a bowl stir together flour and baking soda
3) Cream shortening and sugar about 2-3 min.
4) Add in one egg at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5) Mix in the mash bananas, butter milk and vanilla. Then add in the flour
6) Lastly stir in the walnuts and mixed well
7) Pour into the baking pan and bake for 50-60 min or until the cake is done
8) Remove from pan and cool completely.

Note : The only changes I made to the recipe is to add 1/2 cup of chopped dates to it and cut down the sugar to 1 cup.

9 comments:

Cat Cat said...

Gert,
I like anything that cook with bananas... Bananas Walnut Cake is one of it. I made cenkoduk pisang a few weeks ago and it turned out pretty good. Wish I can get those pisang emas in USA (the smallest and sweetest type of bananas for pisang goreng.. ngam ngam ngam)

ICook4Fun said...

Cat, I too wish we can get pisang emas and pisang rastali here. Pisang sini all besar besar and tak best lah for makan and baking.

Zue Murphy said...

Gert, I love banana cake! Your banana walnut cake surely looks delicious. I remember how terrible my first try to bake banana cake. Boleh baling kepala orang kasi pecah.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Gertrude. All these delicious food is making me hungry! Your fried rice looks so yummy. And the cake too. And the Pillow Puffs. Sigh. I need a personal chef.

Rita Ho said...

Yes, I love those pisang emas as well, so yummy for banana sandwiches.

Gert ... thanks for sharing this recipe. I was thinking what cake to bake with my new bakeware. A couple of amateur questions - Is Crisco vegetable shortening? If not can I use anyway? Any extra steps or differences if I use those silicone baking dish? Tks!

ICook4Fun said...

Zue, kelakarlah you ;)

Mal, fried rice is easy. Cook some for yourself as for the cake I know you can bake.

Rita, Crisco is vegetable shortening but you can replace it with butter. For me I think butter will taste better. You don't have to grease silicone baking dish. For me I don't really like it because silicone dish is soft and is hard to handle.

Karen said...

Hi Gertrude :) I couldn't find an email on your page so I thought I'd send you my message via a comment.

Before I go on, WOW, your cooking looks awesome!! :) It's 7am now and I'm craving for basil fried rice and/or chair siew soh :D

Thank you for your support on my blog! I am looking forward to the good steaks and pastry even more now :)

ICook4Fun said...

Thank you Karen for dropping by. Hope you enjoy yourself in Argentina and do some Tango with your hubby ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Looks yummy! I just posted about Classic Banana Layer Cake at dishingup.wordpress.com. Check it out if you can!